Full-Time Environmental Scientist/Ecologist
Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years. Globally, Atkins is the largest UK-based engineering and design consultancy and one of the world’s largest design firms with nearly 18,000 employees worldwide. We have the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy. At Atkins, we offer our employees more than just a job; we offer an opportunity to shape the world for generations to come through innovative and sound design. As the official engineer of the 2012 London Olympics, few companies can rival the size and diversity of our projects. Whether it’s the concept for a new skyscraper, the upgrade of a rail network, the modeling of a flood defense system or the improvement of a management process, we plan, design and enable solutions. Atkins seeks a highly motivated, self-starter to join our Orlando, FL team as a Environmental Scientist. Our ideal candidate needs a BS or BA in a related science field (minimal work experience is required with Bachelor’s; no experience required with a Master’s), is available to travel up to 50% of the time, and is proficient at interacting with clients and team members. Typical duties and responsibilities of this position are: Generally applies standard techniques, procedures and criteria in carrying out a sequence of somewhat diversified scientific tasks, requiring the use of analysis, interpretation, and deductive reasoning, and being able to detect problems in using standardized procedures. Position activities would include: Field flora and fauna surveys Listed species surveys Water sampling Wetland delineation Aquatic surveys Regulatory permitting and compliance activities Assisting with presentations and public meetings In addition: candidates should have the ability and be willing to work outdoors, in all seasons, and sometimes in rugged terrain.
The appropriately qualified candidate will have the following core competencies and required experience:
* B.S. or B.A. in a field of Science including, biology, botany, soils science, environmental science, ecology, or related field, commensurate with hiring discipline.
* Minimal experience is required of incumbents with directly related Bachelor’s degree; no experience is required with a Master’s degree.
* Good analytical skills and attention to detail; technical writing, computer and communication skills.
* Knowledge and experience with geographic information systems (GIS), ArcView, is preferred.
* Certified open water, advanced open water, enriched air, master, or rescue scuba diver rating is also preferred. Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability employer committed to diversity in the workplace. Atkins is a drug free workplace.